:: Instructor-led Classes

FAQ Texas Real Estate Broker Continuing Education Courses (MCE)

Course Details

Texas Real Estate Broker Continuing Education Courses (MCE) FAQ

What if I have technical questions or experience problems?

There is 24/7 technical support available to you. Call 888-213-5124, or e-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

What is the difference between a salesperson and a broker?

A real estate salesperson or broker is a professional licensed by their state to help consumers with real estate matters.  A salesperson must work under a managing or principal broker, this is the broker who is in charge of the brokerage firm.  Some states only license brokers, in that case, new brokers may be called broker associates and required to work under a managing or principal broker. Much like a salesperson. 

A managing, principal or employing broker is a licensed broker who is in charge of a brokerage firm and the salespersons or broker associates of the firm. Typically to become a managing broker at least two years of active license experience and further course work and sometimes license exams are required.

No matter if you are a real estate salesperson, broker associate or managing broker the job is the same work with buyers, sellers, tenants and landlords to help them reach an agreement.

What is the governing body for Texas Real Estate?

The governing body for Texas Real Estate and Continuing Education is the Texas Real Estate Commission, www.trec.state.tx.us

How quickly can I do my Texas Continuing Education?

CE will depend on the amount of hours attempting; 30 credit hours, for example, would be approximately 30 hours of material.

Which courses should I take and why?

The courses will depend on TREC requirements and on personal and professional topics of interest.

Can I get a refund on a class or on materials?

There are no refunds for online classes and any materials purchased.

How do I receive an extension to complete the courses?

The original 12-month period may be extended up to six months, to accommodate extenuating circumstances that prevent students from completing courses during the initial 12-month access period.

If you need more than the original 12 months to complete a course, print and complete the Course Extension form and send it to us via fax at (512) 232-6126 or as a scanned document to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). You may include your payment information on the form or request that we call you for credit card information.

If you realize during the 12-month enrollment period that you will need more time to complete a course, you can request a monthly extension for a charge of $25 per month per course. You must also complete and submit the Course Extension form.

Student access to online courses shall NOT exceed an 18-month period no matter the circumstances. If a 30-day extension to the 12-month period is needed, students must request this extension no later than the last day of the original enrollment period (that is, no more than 364 days after a course registration is processed). No extensions that would exceed the 18-month period will be granted.

In addition, a student’s access to any single online, stand-alone exam shall not exceed 30 days.

Courses cannot be extended after they have expired. If you have multiple classes that need to be extended you must extend all prior to the expiration date. If you do not complete an extended course prior to the new expiration date you will need to extend and pay the $25 fee again however you cannot extend past 18-months. You must also complete the Course Extension form.

What is the "24 hour MCE Rule"?

As of September 1, 2007, a licensee who takes an online MCE course will not be allowed to complete an online course in less than 24 hours. If a licensee has paid their renewal fee and begins an online MCE course for renewal purposes on the day their license expires, credit will not be awarded for completing the course on that day (regardless of how many hours credit the course awards). If this occurs, the licensee's MCE will be considered late and a $200 Late MCE penalty fee will be assessed.

Is it easy to print the material from the courses online?

Written material can be "print screened." However, since each page of the reading material contains one or two paragraphs, printing chapters (approximately 25-50 pages each) can be paper intensive. The exercises are interactive and therefore may not print a useable page. There may be site restrictions on the test questions, which may result in a blank page if you try to print them. You cannot print test questions from either chapter tests or final exams.

How long may I take to complete a course?

You are allowed one year from the time you receive your password to complete a course.

Who informs TREC that I completed an MCE course?

After completing the course requirements, you will receive an e-mail with a link to TREC's Alternative Instructional Methods Reporting Form. Complete the form, and fax it to the UT administrator, who will then fax the form to TREC.

Is there a grade provided for each course?

Yes, you must complete each course and earn a 70% on the course exam.

Does this class qualify for college course credit? Will this be added to my UT transcript? Do I have to be a UT student to enroll in this program?

PDC's Real Estate Salesperson courses are noncredit and do not appear on a UT transcript. You do not need to be admitted to UT to be able to enroll in these programs.

Are your Texas Real Estate courses accredited?

The online real estate courses are not accredited, which means they do not transfer to the college level. But, they are fully approved for real estate licensing in the state of Texas.

When will I receive my certificate?

An e-certificate will be emailed to you within 3-5 business days. If you need your certificate sooner please contact the Program Coordinator at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Who informs TREC that I completed an SAE and/or Prelicensing course?

The student is responsible for sending TREC the certificate earned from an SAE or Prelicensing course as proof of course completion.

How do I know if the quality of the courses is good?

In addition to satisfying requirements established by the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC), PDC's real estate salesperson courses are ARELLO approved. ARELLO is the Association of Real Estate License Law Officials, "comprising the official governmental agencies and other organizations around the world that issue real estate licenses/registrations in addition to regulating real estate practice and enforcing real estate law."

The TREC Web site does not reflect my renewal. Can you contact them for me and get this resolved?

There are periods when TREC receives a high volume of faxes, and it therefore takes a few days for all renewals to be posted. If, after a week or so, the renewal is not posted, we can contact TREC.

How can I find employment in real estate?

When looking for employment we recommend the following:

  • Update your resume and get your license information in order.
  • Make a list of brokerage firms you want to talk with. If you don't know where to start, browse real estate ads to see if some firms seem ore interesting that others.
  • Visit your local Chamber of Commerce or Board of REALTORS® to find out which firms are best represented. Pay attention to television and radio advertising, billboards and the "For Sale" signs you see in your neighborhood yards.
  • Make appointments with the managing or principle broker of each real estate firm on your list. Larger firms may have recruiting managers.

The University of Texas at Austin is closed for the following holidays

PDC understands that you may have a goal in mind to complete your courses in order to submit your continuing education hours. As you take and complete your courses please plan accordingly.

  • Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving, November 28th-29th
  • Winter Break, December 23rd - January 1st